COVID-19 Safety Measures
April 28th, 2020
To all of our friends and family,
with much thought and planning, we are excited to be able to re-open our spa to the community. We know you are anxious to return.
At The Upper Hand we want to assure you that we take the current situation very seriously. We will open our doors once again this Friday May 1st!
The following information is from the Georgia State Licensing Board and covers the recommended steps needed in order for us to deliver a safe experience.
Please read over the following measures that we have put in place to ensure your safety as well as our team members.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Georgia State Board of Cosmetologists and Barbers has made the following in order to protect the safety of guests and staff. The recommendations are to be used in conjunction with the board rules for safety and sanitation that are currently in place. These guidelines will be in effect for as long as needed and may be adjusted as necessary. They will be reduced when safe to do so.
- Spa should consider the use of a touchless infrared thermometer to check the temperature of each guest who enters the spa and each staff member. Any staff or guest who has a temperature above 99°F should be sent home immediately and not allowed to return to the spa until they have no fever and no evidence of COVID-19 symptoms. (We are currently looking for an infrared thermometer to take this additional step!)
- Each guest entering the spa will be required to read and sign our new COVID-19 Release Form. This form will be reviewed and updated each time the client returns to the spa for a service. A .pdf is available on the website in the Footer under Intake Forms. If possible please print off, fill out and bring this form with you at your first appointment.
- We are limiting the number of guests in the spa at any one time. ALL guests must have an appointment. Guests will still be able to schedule appointments online or by phone. It is encouraged to reschedule for your next visit before leaving the spa, to guarantee your prefered date.
- We are limiting the number of persons in the waiting area of the spa. If someone is bringing a guest to the spa, that person must wait outside in their vehicle until the guest is finished. We strongly encourage all guests to arrive as close to the time of their scheduled appointment as possible. If you are very early you should call us from your car and let us know you have arrived and we will come for you or call you when we are ready to begin your service.
- At this time we are discontinuing all couples services and group bookings to help maintain social distancing within the building. We are also currently not offering makeup application or lessons.
- Spacing between persons in the spa should be at least six feet, EXCEPT when staff are servicing guests.
- We will be booking appointments at staggered times to help minimize chance encounters with others guests. Some staff are also offering their services in a limited capacity on Sundays to help accommodate our guests.
- All nail guests are asked to please use the side door (handy cap ramp) at the far end of the building, close to the trees, to minimize potential contact with another guest.
- Spa Staff will be wearing masks at all times for both the guests safety as well as theirs. Guests should wear face masks to the extent possible while receiving services. We realize that certain services would make this request some what difficult, such as a facial, but could definitely be worn while receiving a nail service.
- Staff will wear disposable gloves when servicing guests and change gloves between each guest to the greatest extent possible.
- Staff will be wearing a smock or apron between each client or working to change tops throughout the day.
- Hand-washing with soapy, warm water, for a minimum of 20 seconds will be required by all guests upon arrival to the spa and by every staff member before and after every guest service.
- Linens have always been used once and washed in hot water with detergent. We are currently stream-lining our linens and eliminating table warmers and blankets as they are difficult to disinfect or are bulky items that slow down the laundry process. When given clearance we will re-introduce these items into our services.
- For everyones protection, additional time is being incorporated into all services to allow staff to properly clean and disinfect before and after every guest service.
- We use disinfectants that are EPA registered and labeled as bactericidal, virucidal and fungicidal. No product will be labeled for COVID-19 yet, but many will have human coronavirus efficacy either on the label or available on their website. The EPA has approved any product that has tested as effective against human coronavirus.
- All tools and instruments must be washed with hot soapy water, rinsed with clear water and immersed into a liquid disinfectant for at least ten minutes. All hard surfaces should be washed down and then disinfected.
- Any brochures, pamplets or spa information will be available by request. No brochures or pamplets will be out on tables or counters for guests.
- To further help eliminate too much congregation in our lobby or at the check out counter, we will be asking guests to continue to secure their appointments with a credit or debit card AND now allow us to charge for the service(s) the day before the appointment. It is strongly being encouraged to minimize handling anothers card. Cash and check is still accepted, but a prepaid service on your card with no signature technology is preferred.
- We are asking all our quests to seek staff assistance in the retail area to cut down on the handling of products. We will be happy to assist you with your purchase.
- We will have hand sanitizer and Kleenex available in every room throughout the spa. We will also use visible and appropriate signage in the spa to communicate to you, the guest, that thorough sanitation proccesses are in place.
- All team members who are sick will be expected to stay home. All guests who are sick are encouraged to do the same and asked to call us within 24 hours of said appointment to cancel.